DETROIT DIESEL 53
result of a misaligned rear main bearing or a burr or dirt
on the inner face of one or more of the thrust washers.
15. Affix a new gasket to the oil pan flange and install
8. Install the cylinder liner, piston and connecting rod
the oil pan.
assemblies (Section 1.6.3).
16. Use a chain hoist and sling attached to the lifting
9. Install the cylinder head(s) (refer to Section 12).
bracket at each end of the engine and remove the
engine from the overhaul stand.
10. Install the flywheel housing (Section 1.5), then
install the flywheel.
17. Install all of the accessories that were removed.
11. Install the crankshaft lower engine front cover and
18. After the engine has been completely reassembled,
the lubricating oil pump assembly
refer to the Lubricating Oil Specifications in Section 13.3
and refill the crankcase to the proper level on the
12. Install the engine front support, if used.
19. Close all of the drains and fill the cooling system.
13. Install the crankshaft pulley (Section 1.3.7).
20. After replacing the main or connecting rod bearings
or installing a new crankshaft, operate the engine as
14. Install the oil pump inlet pine and screen
outlined in the run-in schedule, Section 13.2.1.
1972 General Motors Corp.