DETROIT DIESEL 53
5. Then, with the camshaft supported in an arbor
press, place a sleeve on top of the gear and under the
ram of the press. Bring the ram of the press down on
the sleeve and press the gear tight against the spacer
on the shaft (Fig. 2.).
6. Measure the clearance between the camshaft thrust
washer and the camshaft. This clearance should be
.008" to .015" when new parts are used. With used
parts, a maximum clearance of .021" is allowable.
7. Install the gear retaining nut on the camshaft by
hand. Tighten the nut after the shaft is installed .in the
8. Install the camshaft in the engine as outlined in
Fig. 2. - Installing Camshaft Gear
4. Start the camshaft gear over the end of the
camshaft with the key in the shaft registering with the
keyway in the gear.
1970 General Motors Corp.