DETROIT DIESEL 53
Assemble the fan hub and spindle shown in Fig. 3 and
4 as follows:
1. Apply Chevron BRB No. 2 grease or an equivalent
performance grease to the rollers of both bearings
before installing them in the fan hub (pulley).
2. Install the inner bearing with the protruding face of
the inner race facing outward from the hub.
3. Install a new seal with the felt-side flush with the
outer edge of the hub.
4. Place the hub over the spindle and install the
5. Pack the cavity approximately 1/4 full with grease
and install the grease baffle.
6. Place the shims against the bearing spacer. Then
install the outer bearing with the protruding face of the
inner race facing outward from the hub.
7. Secure the hub with the retaining washer and bolt.
Tighten the 1/2 "-20 bolt to 83-93 Ib-ft torque while
rotating the pulley.
8. Check the end play in the assembly with the spindle
(shaft) in a horizontal position. The end play must be
within .001 " to .006 ". If necessary, remove the bolt,
washer and outer bearing and adjust the number and
thickness of shims to obtain the required end play.
Shims are available in .015 " .020 " and .025 "
1972 General Motors Corp.