Figure 4-8. Bridge positioning.
Align fuel pipes (9) and install the fuel pipes, adapters (10) and washers (11). Tighten the fuel pipe connections to
12-15 ft-lb (16-20 N. m).
Set the injector control tube shaft (refer to para 3-62) in place on the cylinder head. Tighten the bolts hand tight. Be
sure that the ball end of each injector rack engages the slot in the corresponding injector control rack. Install the control
tube shaft in accordance with instructions given in paragraph 3-62.
Remove covers from the oil drain holes. Install gasket (8), cover (7) and secure with screws (6).
Install gasket (4), exhaust manifold (3) and secure with nuts (1) and washers (2). Install plug (5) in the manifold.
Adjust the engine exhaust valves as follows.
It is important that the valves be adjusted cold before the engine is started after the valves have been removed or replaced.
Failure to perform this procedure could result in damage to the valves. All of the exhaust valves must be adjusted, in firing
order sequence, during one full revolution of the crankshaft.
(1) Place the engine governor in the idle speed, of no fuel position.
(2) Rotate the crankshaft until the injector follower is fully depressed on the cylinder to be adjusted.
(3) Loosen the push rod lock nut. Place a 0.027-inch feeler gage between the end of one valve stem and the
rocker arm bridge. Adjust the push rod to obtain a smooth pull on the feeler gage.
(4) Remove the feeler gage. Hold the push rod with a wrench and tighten the lock nut.
(5) Recheck the dclearance. If the adjustment is correct, the 0.25-inch feeler gage will pass freely between the
end of one valve stem and the rocker arm bridge. The 0.027-inch feeler gage will not pass through. Readjust the push rod
Refer to TM 5-3810-295-12 for hot valve adjustment.
Section III. REPAIR OF FLYWHEEL
The flywheel is attached to the rear of the crankshaft. Its purpose is to oppose and moderate, by its inertia, any speed
fluctuations in the speed of the engine.
4-1 1. Removal
Refer to paragraph 2-13 and remove the reduction gear from the flywheel.
Refer to figure 4-9. Remove attaching screws (1) and retainer plate (2) while holding the flywheel in position by
hand. Reinstall one screw (1).