TM 5-381 0-295-34
cave side up and piloted around valve locator.
and plunger driver.
(5) Lubricate packing (8) and press into housing
(7) Install spring (115) and install required num-
groove. Place shield (7) and coil (6) on the housing and
ber of shims (114). Place the small end of spring (115)
tighten screws (5) to 1---20 in-lb (20-27 N m)
on the shoulder end of plunger (113) with a twisting
motion to avoid distorting the spring.
& Refer to figure 13-5 and assemble the fuel pump
(8) Lubricate plunger (113) with engine oil and in-
in the following manner.
stall into barrel. Size of barrel and plunger must cor-
(1) If bushing (122) was removed, apply a thin
coat of high pressure lubricant to a new bushing and
(9) Install plug (108), packing (107) and plug (106)
press it into housing (116), flush with housing bore.
into housing (116)
Ream bushing to 0.7495--0.7505 inch.
(10) Assemble nameplate (105) to housing with
(2) Install new dowels (121) and (120) if removed.
(3) If governor barrel and bushing (119) have been
(11) Install adjusting screws (103) and adjusting
removed, install new barrel and bushing as follows:
screw lock nuts (102)
(a) Locate new barrel in housing (116). Scribe a
(12) Place filter screen (101), spring (100), ring
center line on barrel and housing, lining up the fuel
seal (99) and filter cap (98) into housing. Torque cap to
passages so fuel flow will not be restricted.
25--30 f-lb (34-41 N. m).
(b) Heat housing to 300F. and coat new barrel
(13) Place bushing (94) on shaft (96) with cham-
with high pressure lubricant. Drop spring pack housing
fered end of bushing toward gear end. Press gear (93)
(118) in place.
on shaft (96) until it is flush with end of shaft. Gear
(c) Place governor barrel in housing bore with
must turn freely on shaft with a maximum clearance
chamfered end first and location pin hole on bottom
between gear and bushing of 0.005 inch.
side. Lining up scribe marks press barrel in housing
(14) Aline oil groove in top of bushing (94) with
until it bottoms against spring pack housing.
fuel pump drive shaft. Press bushing (94), shaft (96)
(d) Select a plunger two sizes smaller than the
and gear assembly (93) into housing until bushing bottoms.
largest plunger that will enter the barrel. Plunger
must drop into bore of its own weight. Remark gover-
Do not overpress spacer. It can be flattened,
nor barrel with class size of plunger used. See table
eliminating its effectiveness.
13-1 for class sizes and color code.
(15) Install spacer (95) on top of bushing with slot-
Table 13-1 Plunger Size and Color Code
ted edge down Install new seal (92) with spring side
down. Spacer must bottom on bushing.
(16) Cover top of seal (92) with a thin coat of
lubricating oil. Install new felt washer (91) with white
side up. Install new gasket (90) and place housing (89)
on housing (116). Secure with screws (88) Screw angle
joint (97) on housing (89)
(17) Place idler screw (87) into guide (83). Assem-
ble washer (86), spring (85) and plunger (84) over screw
point inside of guide. Side guide (83) into housing.
(18) Install spring (82), shim (81) and retainer (80)
on guide (83). Secure in place with ring (79). Install
(e) Install pin dowel (117) into bottom of barrel
new gasket (77) and place cover (76) on housing. Secure
with (lot of pin to front of housing.
with washers (74), lockwashers (75) and screws (73). In-
(4) Press stop sleeve (112) on plunger (113) with
stall lock seal and wire (72) on screws (73). Install plug
nei,tched . nd going on plunger toward governor barrel.
(78) in cover (76).
(19) Lubricate and install new preformed packing
The chamfered side of thrust washer (110)
(65) on throttle shaft (71). Install shims (69) and
must be installed next to driver (109). There
plunger (68). Plunger shall be flush with the fuel
must be 0.002--0.005 inch clearance between
passage leaving it completely open. Place lockwasher
washer face and driver so washer will" float".
(67) and screw (06) on plunger. Torque to 40-45 in-lb
(5) Place driver (109) through thrust washer (110)
(54--61 N. m).
and drive into plunger (113). Drive must have inter-
(20) Install spacers (64) over shaft (71). Insert
ference fit in plunger.
shaft (71) in cover (63) so the open side of pin (70) is
down, lubricate with fuel oil.
Pr,Atetct plunger finish when installing pin
(1 11) by placing plunger on copper jawed vise
(6) Drive retainer pin (111) through the plunger