pin (25) and insert lock-up spool assembly in housing
15-13. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair
a. Clean all metal parts with cleaning solvent
(Federal Specification P-D-680, or equivalent), dry
thoroughly with compressed air.
When inserting lock-up spool assembly do not
b. Inspect all parts for cracks, scoring corrosion, ex-
damage oil seal (23).
cessive wear or other defects.
(10) Install expansion plug (27) securely in
c. Replace all gaskets, preformed packing and
damaged or defective parts.
(11) Install neutral actuating pin (35) and neutral
switch (34) in housing (48).
15-14. Reassembly and Installation
(12) Place spring (33), check ball (32) and
a. Refer to figure 15-10 and reassemble the hy-
check valve fitting (31) in housing (48).
draulic shift control as follows:
(13) Install speed selector check ball (30),
(1) Install pipe plug (47) in valve housing (48).
spring (29) and selector plug (28) in housing (48).
(2) Place piston stop pin (46), inner spring (45)
(14) Install expansion plug (19) in housing (48)
and outer spring (44) into housing (48).
by tapping lightly with a soft headed hammer.
(3) Install new preformed packing (43) on valve
(15) Install cheek ball (18), spring (17) and lock-
stop (41) and place piston (42) and valve stop (41) on
up pipe plug (16) in housing (48).
top of springs (44) and (45).
(16) Install new seal (15) in bearing cap (13).
(4) Using a press for consistent pressure, depress
Lip of seal (15) must be facing away from bearing (21).
valve stop (41), piston (42) and spring (44) and (45). In-
(17) Assemble gasket (14) and bearing cap (13)
stall retaining ring (40) and slowly release pressure on
on housing (48) and secure with lock washers (12) and
(5) Install selector link (36) on selector spool (38)
(18) Place bracket (10) on selector shaft. Install
with roll pin (37). Place selector spool assembly in
lever housing (9), aligning it with selector link (26).
housing (48) and top expansion plug (39) in place
Secure with roll pins (7) and (8) and set screw (6).
evenly and securely.
(19) Install stop plate (5). Secure with flat
(6) Press new seal (23) in pin assembly (22). Lip
washers (4), lock washers (3) and bolts (2).
of seal (23) must be facing away from bearing (21).
(20) Screw knob (1) on lever shaft.
(7) Press bearing (21) on shaft of pin assembly
b. Refer to figure 15-9 and install hydraulic shift
(22) and install retaining ring (20).
control in carrier cab as follows:
(8) Install selector shaft, pin and bearing assem-
(1) Set control in position and secure with bolts
bly in housing (48). Pin on pin assembly (22) must be
(3), lock washers (2) and nuts (1).
inserted in selector link (36).
(2) Reconnect all hydraulic lines as tagged in the
(9) Install lock-up link (26) on spool (24) with roll
Section IV. REPAIR OF TORQUE CONVERTER
15-1 5. General
in whatever gear the transmission is in, thus assuring
The engine rotation is carried to the transmission by
maximum efficiency from the converter. The lockup
automatically disengages when the converter speed
the transmission engage gears of the inner and outer
drops or whenever the transmission is shifted.
trains to obtain the gear ratio selected by the shift
Removal and Disassembly
lever in the carrier cab. The rotation from the
a. Removal. Refer to paragraph 12-6b. and remove
transmission is transferred to the front and rear drive
the engine and torque converter as described.
axles by the drive shafts. Rotation then goes through
b. Disassembly. Refer to figure 15-11 and
the differential to a planetary in each drive wheel. As
disassemble the torque converter as follows:
the speed of the torque converter output shaft ap-
(1) Remove screw and lock washer (1), pump as-
proaches 1800 rpm, the converter automatically locks
sembly (2), gasket (3) and drive sleeve (4).
15-18 Change 1