Figure 3-17. Turbocharger details (sheet 7 of 10).
e. Inspection and Repair. Inspect shaft and wheel
(1) Inspect bearing journals for excessive
scratches and wear. Minor scratches may be tolerated.
Shaft diameter must be 0.6862 inch.
Figure 3-17. Turbocharger details (sheet 8 of 10).
(2) Inspect piston seal groove walls for scoring.
Minor scratches, are acceptable.
and washer if thrust faces are mutilated. Replace thrust
(3) Inspect for cracked, bent or damaged
bearing if worn to less than 0.225 inch thickness through
blades. Replace a damaged blade.
thrust faces. The small drilled oil hole in thrust bearing
must be clean and free of obstruction.
Caution: Do not attempt to straighten
(8) Inspect spacer for excessive wear or
scoring. Replace a damaged spacer.
(4) Inspect bearings for wear, looseness,
or bends. Replace a damaged wheel.
corrosion and binding. Replace a damaged bearing.
(10) Inspect insert for wear or scoring. Replace if
(5) Inspect bearing housing bore for scratches
bore is scored or worn to 0.877 inch maximum.
or excessive wear. Replace housing if bearing bores are
(11) Inspect retaining ring for spring. Replace if
excessively scratched or worn in excess of 1.063 inch
ring has not retained its temper.
diameter or if piston ring bore is worn in excess of 0.877
(12) Replace all packing.
(13) Inspect nozzle ring for damage. Replace a
(6) Inspect finger sleeve for wear or other
damage to piston seal grooves or flinger. Replace
The turbocharger must be
flinger sleeve if ring grooves or flinger is damaged.
reassembled in strict accordance with the following
(7) Inspect thrust ring, thrust bearing and thrust
detailed procedure. Measure clearance accurately.
washer for damage. Replace ring, bearing