Figure 137. Front wheel bearings, hub, drum, exploded view.
and remove ring from rim.
(2) Install the wheel bearings, hub, drum, and
axle shaft in the reverse of the numerical
Do not attempt to remove tire retaining
ring until tire is cornpletely deflated.
(3) Remove the tire from the rim and remove the
tube liner and tube from the tire.
When installing the bearings, tighten
the bearing adjusting nut until the
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
wheel locks; then back off on the
(1) Clean the rim with an approved cleaning
adjusting nut until the wheel turns
(2) Inspect the tire for breaks, cuts, excessive
wear, and other damage. Repair or replace
tire as necessary.
(3) Inspect the tube and liner for cuts, punctures,
and other damage. Repair or replace tube
228. Tires and Tubes
and liner as necessary.
(4) Inspect the retaining ring for bends and other
(1) Remove the wheel from the carrier (para.
damage. Replace defective' retaining ring.
(2) Deflate tire by removing valve core.
(1) Install the tube in the tire so the valve stem is
Insert pry bar in slot of retaining ring near
in line with the balancing mark on the tire.
split. Pry end of ring out over edge of rim,