maximum. The main journal limits are
0.002 inch minimum to 0.003 inch
(6) Remove the carrier engine crankshaft and
(5) Inspect the crankshaft end play for 0.005
b. Disassembly. Disassemble the carrier engine
inch minimum to 0.008 inch maximum.
crankshaft and main bearings in numerical sequence as
(6) Inspect the crank pin. The diameter should
be between 3.499 inch minimum and 3.500
464. Carrier Engine Crankshaft and Main Bearings
Cleaning, Inspection and Repair
a. Cleaning. Clean all parts with an approved
465. Carrier Engine Crankshaft and Main Bearings
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
Reassembly and Installatlon
b. Inspection and Repair.
a. Reassembly. Reassemble the carrier engine
(1) Inspect the crankshaft for scored or
crankshaft and main bearings in the reverse of the
damaged bearing journals, cracks, breaks,
or other damage, Replace a defective
crankshaft as necessary.
(1) Install the crankshaft and main bearings as
(2) Inspect the connecting rod bearings and
crankshaft main bearings for scores,
cracks, breaks, or excessive wear.
(3) Inspect the bearing caps for breaks, cracks,
(8) Install the pistons and connecting rods
or other damage. Replace a defective
bearing cap as necessary.
(4) Inspect the crankshaft main bearing
journals for a diameter of 3.749 inch
minimum to 3.750 inch.
Section XLV. CARRIER ENGINE BLOCK
The carrier engine block is a solid, one-piece, iron alloy
casting. It houses the crankshaft, camshaft, connecting
The block has large water jackets which surround the
cylinders to provide sufficient cooling.
The intake valve seats are ground on the cylinder block
The exhaust valve seats are replaceable.
Drilled oil passages carry oil under pressure to all
Remove flywheel and flywheel housing (para.
bearings and moving parts requiring lubrication.
467. Carrier Engine Block Removal
a. Remove the carburetor, distributor, governor,
generator, starter, generator regulator, 256 water pump,
oil filters and spark plugs (paras. 86, 98, 87, 105, 102,
106, 149,161, and 100).