(6) Inspect all threaded parts for stripped or
(14) Always use new gaskets, oil seals, and
damaged threads. Repair or replace parts
shims during reassembly.
(7) Inspect all metal mating surfaces for burrs.
477. Carrier Transfer Case Assembly Reassembly
Remove all burrs.
(8) Inspect the bearing cups for excessive
a. Reassembly. Reassemble the transfer case in
wear, scoring, pitting, or other damage.
the reverse of the numerical sequence as instructed on
Replace a defective cup and cone as a set.
(9) Inspect the spacers, washers, and retaining
rings for cracks, breaks, twisting, excessive
(1) Install the carrier transfer case assembly as
wear, or other damage.
Replace defective parts as necessary.
(2) Install the three propeller shafts on the
(10) Inspect the brakeshoe lining for wear,
three universal yokes on the transfer case
breaks, or cracks. Replace defective lining.
(11) Inspect the mounting brackets and the
(3) Reconnect the handbrake cable on the
yokes for cracks, breaks, distortion, or other
damage. Repair or replace damaged parts
assembly on the transfer case.
(12) Inspect the two shifting yokes and shafts for
(5) Fill the transfer case assembly.
distortion, wear, breaks, or other damage.
(6) Adjust the control levers.
Repair or replace defective parts.
(13) Inspect the spring balls and plungers for
distortion, wear, pitting, or other damage.
Replace all defective parts as necessary.
Section XLVIII. CARRIER AIR COMPRESSOR ASSEMBLY
a. Removal. Remove the carrier air compressor
The carrier air compressor assembly is a single
acting, reciprocating two cylinder type.
Disassemble the carrier air
capacity is 71/4 cubic feet per minute at 1,250 rpm. The
compressor assembly in numerical sequence as
minimum oil pressure required at engine idling speed is 5
pounds per square inch and at minimum governed speed
is 15 pounds per square inch. The compressor runs
480. Carrier Air Compressor Assembly Cleaning,
continuously while the engine is running, but the actual
Inspection, and Repair
compression of air is controlled by the governor, which,
a. Cleaning. Clean all parts with an approved
acting in conjunction with the unloading mechanism in the
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
compressor cylinder block, starts the compression of air
b. Inspection and Repair.
by loading the compressor when the pressure in the air
brake system reaches the desired minimum 80-86
(1) Inspect all parts for excessive wear and
pounds. The compressor is lubricated by oil from the
(2) Plug all holes in the cylinder head except
one and insert air hose. Immerse cylinder
479. Carrier Air Compressor Assembly Removal and
head in water and apply 15