g. Cleaning and Inspection (Model 2385).
(1) Remove corrosion from battery terminals, cables
(2) Use water to wash sides and top of battery.
(3) Clean vent openings in filler caps.
(4) Clean cables and battery box.
(5) Inspect batteries for cracks, leaks, broken
terminals and other defects.
(6) Inspect cables for defective insulation or broken
strands and terminals.
(7) Inspect battery box for cracks and other
h. Replacement (Model 2385).
(1) Replace battery that will not hold or take charge.
(2) Replace damaged cables.
(3) Replace a damaged battery box.
i.. Installation (Model 2385). Install batteries and
4-62. Starter and Solenoid Relay
(2) Remove starter and solenoid relay as illustrated
b.. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Wipe starter and solenoid relay with a damp
Figure 4-55. Carrier engine s tarter and solenoid relay,
removal and installation.
(3) Inspect wires for frayed, or broken condition.
(4) Rotate starter drive pinion to be sure that the
armature turns freely and does not bind.
(5) Inspect starter commutator for pits, burns, and
(6) Inspect starter brushes for excessive wear.
(1) Replace a defective solenoid relay.
(2) Replace defective wires.
(3) Replace starter brushes as illustrated in figure 4-
(4) Replace defective starter.
4-63. Magnetic Switch
a. Removal. Remove magnetic switch as illus-
Figure 4-56. Carrier starter brush replacement.