DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fig. 1. - Crankshaft Details and Relative Location of Parts.
procedure covering removal of the oil pump drive gear.
6. Mount the engine on an overhaul stand and fasten it
securely to the mounting plate.
CAUTION: Be absolutely sure the engine is securely
attached to the stand before releasing the lifting sling.
After the crankshaft has been removed, clean and
Severe injury to personnel and destruction of engine
inspect it thoroughly before reinstalling it in the engine.
parts will result if the engine breaks away from the
Remove the plugs and clean out the oil passages
thoroughly with a stiff wire brush. Clean the
7. Remove the oil pan.
8. Remove the oil pump inlet pipe and screen.
9. Remove the flywheel and flywheel housing.
10. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
11. Remove the front engine support, if used.
12. Remove the engine lower front cover and oil pump
13. Remove the cylinder head(s).
main bearing cap stabilizers.
15. Remove the connecting rod bearing caps.
16. Remove the main bearing caps.
17. Remove the thrust washers from each side of the
rear main bearing.
18. Remove the pistons, connecting rods and liners.
19. Remove the crankshaft, including the timing gear
20. Refer to Section 1.7.5 for removal of the crankshaft
Fig. 2. - Lifting or Lowering Crankshaft from
into Cylinder Block
1972 General Motors Corp.