Water Pump Idler Pulley
DETROIT DIESEL 53
Assemble Idler Pulley Assembly
1. Apply a minimum of 2500 lbs pressure only on the
outer race of the bearing as shown in Fig. 3 and press
the bearing and shaft assembly into the idler pulley until
the outer race of the bearing is flush with the inside
surface of the pulley.
2. With a short rod, apply pressure on the shaft only
(Fig. 4) and press the shaft and bearing assembly with
the pulley into the idler pulley bracket. The distance
between the outer edge of the pulley and the bracket
must be .160" .
Install Idler Pulley Assembly
1. Attach the idler pulley assembly to the front cover
with two bolts and lock washers.
2. Install the water pump drive belts.
Fig. 4. - Installing Shaft and Bearing Assembly
and Pulley in Bracket
3. Adjust the idler pulley assembly so that the drive
belts have the proper tension and tighten the bolts.
1971 General Motors Corp.