3. Check the oil levels in each gear housing in the upper
and the lower, and the levels in the main and auxiliary
10. Start the engine in the normal manner and allow it to
transmissions. Add oil as necessary as specified in the
warm up fully. The preservative fuel will produce a
harmless smoky exhaust until it is consumed.
11. Observe for unusual noise or other symptoms of
of the proper types, as required.
malfunction when the engine is started. Shut the engine
5. Install the battery, fully charged, and connect it.
down immediately if there is any evidence of malfunction.
6. Make a thorough visual inspection of the entire
RESTORING CUMMINS ENGINES TO SERVICE. To
machine before operating it for the first time following
restore the Cummins engine to service following long
storage. Check, especially, for damaged or deteriorated
term storage, proceed as follows: 1.
accumulated dirt from the engine exterior.
2. Remove all paper covers, tape and wrappings.
3. Using a suitable solvent, cleaner or degreaser,
The procedures outlined in the following paragraphs
remove rust preventive compound from the unpainted
must be carefully followed to insure that the machine is
surfaces of the engine.
properly restored to normal service.
procedures are provided for the Detroit Diesel engine,
4. Flush the entire fuel system with clean fuel oil until all
the Cummins engine and the machine proper.
preservative oil is removed from the system.
RESTORING DETROIT DIESEL ENGINES TO
5. Remove the plug from the oil header and force hot,
SERVICE. To restore the Detroit Diesel engine to
light mineral oil through the oil passages to flush away all
service following long term storage, proceed as follows:
accumulated. Bar the engine over several times during
applicable, and refill the crankcase with the oil type
this flushing operation.
recommended for normal operation. Allow for the oil
added in Step 2, below.
6. Remove all filter screens and strainers and clean
them thoroughly. Refer to the engine manufacturer's
2. Remove the valve rocker covers from the engine and
manual for locations and procedures.
pour at least one-half gallon (1.9 I) of engine oil over the
rocker arms and push rods. Replace the covers.
7. Fill the engine crankcase with new oil of the type and
amount specified in the carrier lubrication chart. Install a
3. Check the condition of the radiator hoses and clamps.
new oil filter cartridge.
Then, fill the engine cooling system with dean, soft water
and a high quality rust inhibitor or a solution of
8. Flush the cooling system thoroughly and refill with
permanent antifreeze, depending on expected weather
clean, soft water and a high quality corrosion inhibitor or
a permanent antifreeze solution, as applicable.
4. Remove the seals from the engine exhaust outlets
9. Install the carrier battery, fully charged, and connect
and air cleaner.
5. Fill the fuel tank.
10. Clean the fuel pump strainer and install a new fuel
filter cartridge. Then fill the carrier fuel tank with the
6. Install the battery, fully charged, in the carrier.
proper grade of diesel fuel.
7. Using diesel fuel, remove the rust preventive from the
11. Prime the engine lubrication system as instructed in
7 through 9 of "Removal From Short Term Storage".
8. Remove the paper from between the drive belts and
12. Make a thorough visual inspection of the carrier to
pulleys and tighten the belts. Refer to the engine
insure that the engine can be started safely and the
carrier driven. Correct any malfunction found.
9. Make a final inspection of the carrier and the upper to
insure that the engine can be safely started.