3. Tighten steering column damp.
diameter of the bushings to drive the bushings into place.
4. Connect the drag link to the steering gear arm.
3. Replace oil seal (4).
4. Insert cam shaft assembly (18) into housing (7). Install
THRUST BEARING ADJUSTMENT. To adjust the thrust
three shims over the protruding end of camshaft (18).
Fastening the end cover with capscrews.
bearings on the cam, proceed as follows:
6. Install bearings (9), in lever shaft (10).
6. Insert the lever shaft into the housing so the hearing
The steering wheel should turn freely with the thumb
studs are between the teeth of the cam Gear.
and forefinger lightly Gripping the rim when the bear-
ings are properly adjusted.
7. Replace gasket (11) and side cover (12).
8. Install steering arm (3), lockwasher (2). and nut (1).
1. Loosen the side adjusting screw to free the studs
9. Fill the housing with the recommended lubricant.
2. Remove the capscrews which hold the upper cover to
INSTALLATION. To install the steering gear to the car-
the steering gear and slide it up the steering shaft to permit
rier, proceed as follows:
removal of the shims.
1. Slide the steering gear shaft end into the steering column
3. Clip and remove a thin shim.
4. Install the cover screws and tighten.
2. lnstall the steering Gear mounting bolt and tighten
6. Test adjustment and if necessary repeat steps 2,3 and 4.
Figure 10-7. Steering Gear (53Z341)