with Setscrew opening up, and shift slot tow center of
(a) Install intermediate shaft gear locating
(c)Place interlock pin (27) in hole in rail with
(b)Press gear (66) on shaft with long hub
pin in rail in a horizontal position, push rail through rail
toward the locating ring.
(c)Put thrust washer (67) on shaft; with oil
(d)place first-reserve rocker lug (20) on of
grooves toward gear.
rail with lock screw hole up and in position rocker arm
(d) Press bearing (68) on end of shaft, until
bearing is seated against thrust washer (67).
(e) Put setscrews (21 and 30) in place
(e) Install bearing retaining ring (69) on
(f) Shift rail into neutral position.
(3) Assemble air shift cylinder body (14) as
(7) Install fourth-fifth shift rail (3) and fork (35) as
(a)Install new O -ring (20) on shift rod (21.
(a) Slide fourth-fifth shift rail (3) through
(b) Install piston (11) on rod (21), then
opening in center.
place retaining ring (10) in place.
(b) Place fourth-fifth shift fork (35) spacer
(c)Install new O -ring (16) and sealing ring
(6) on rail with Setscrew hole in fork a from repairman.
(13) in cylinder (14).
(c) Place two interlock balls (22 and (38
(d) Insert rod (21) and piston (11) into
and 39) in cross holes in each rail support on both sides
of remaining opening.
(e) Install O-ring (9) and cover (7) on
(d) Place poppet spring (5) and ball (4
poppet hole in housing.
(e)Using suitable tool, compress spring ball
(g) Install new O-ring (17) on cylinder (14).
(f)Place interlock pin (24) in hole in rail, with
(4) Install intermediate shaft (64) through control
pin in rail in a horizontal position, push rail through.
cover opening on side of housing. Put shaft through rear
(g) Place Setscrew (341 in position and
bearing opening with front bearing lined up with bore.
(h) Shift rail into neutral position.
Drive shaft into place.
(8) Install lockwires into all screws. This should
(5) Support front end of intermediate shaft (64) and
be done in a manner not to interfere with shifting.
drive rear bearing (39) into place using a suitable drive
(9) Check for proper assembly by shifting in and
tool. Drive on inner race of bearing.
out of all speeds. Then shift center rail into fourth speed
(6) Install intermediate shaft rear bearing retaining
and attempt to shift side rails into speeds at same time.
This provides a check on proper assembly of interlock
(7) Press output shaft rear bearing (38) on
plugs, balls, and pin.
companion flange end of output shaft (44) until bearing is
flush with shoulder on shaft.
Note. Assembly should not shift into more than one
(8) Place thrust washer (45) on shaft (44) with oil
speed at a time.
groove away from bearing.
(10) If assembly functions properly, install welch
(9) Using suitable driver, press bushing 446) on shaft
plugs (43, 36, 31, 11). Note. Make sure welch plugs
with lock pin (47) away from thrust washer.
Place output shaft low gear (48) on bench with toothed
(11) Turn assembly over.
hub up. Check blocker pins on synchronizer to see that
(12) Check actuating pin (27) to see if it is in
they show maximum staggering when synchronizer is
place; install interlock ball (28) and neutral switch (12).
examined standing on edge.
(11) Place shift hub sleeve (49) in synchronizer (50).
unit as follows:
Put synchronizer on gear with grooved ring in gear (48).
(1) If oil seal has been removed, press in a new
(12) Place output shaft high gear (53) on top of
oil seal (31).
synchronizer with internal teeth down.
(2) Assemble intermediate shaft (64) as follows:
(13) Turn synchronizer (50) and gears (48 and 53)
on side and roll into drop gear housing with gear (53) to
the right side of the case.
(14) Turn housing over on its front so it is resting on