(2) Run engine at 2000 RPM for 15 seconds and
drain resulting oil flow from the "converter return line" into
12-8. Carrier Drive Steer Axles
a suitable container.
a. General The combination drive-and-steer-type axle
(3) Measure the oil and multiply by four.
is utilized for both front and rear axles on the carrier.
result is GPM leakage.
The removal and installation is similar for both axles.
(4) If leakage exceeds 5 GPM, repair the torque
(1) Refer to figure 12-4, and crib up carrier frame
i. Check Transmission Lube Pressure, Fig. 12-5,
or provide suitable supports.
Check Point E.
(2) Refer to paragraph 15-8 and disconnect
(I) Install 50 PSI gage in transmission control
(3) Tag and disconnect hydraulic lines to the three
(2) With engine running at high idle, lube pressure
should be 25 PSI.
(4) Remove axle mounting bolts and with a suitable
(3) Low pressure indicates clogged oil cooler.
supporting device remove axle from vehicle.
(4) High pressure indicates internal restriction in
Change 1 12-6