(3) Remove nut (3) and lock washer (4)
17-11. Removal and Disassembly
from steering gear shaft.
a. Refer to figure 17-6 and remove steering
(4) Using a suitable puller remove pitman
gear box and power steering control valve as follows:
arm (5) from steering gear shaft.
(1) Remove nut (1) from pitman mounting
(2) Scribe an alignment mark on worm
Never remove pitman arm (5) by
shaft and universal coupling joint (2). Remove pinch
hammering. This can damage steering
bolt. Remove joint (2) from worm gear shaft.
2 Universal joint
4 Lock washer
5 Pitman arm
7 Lock washer
9 Cap screw
Figure 17-6. Steering gear assembly removal
(5) Remove nuts (6), lock washer (7), washers
lightly on the end of the pitman shaft with a soft headed
(8), and cap screws ). Lift steering gear box from
hammer and remove side cover (5) and pitman shaft
assembly (10) from gear housing (30).
(6) Remove power steering control valve as
described in TM 5-3810-295-12.
If sector gear (10) does not easily clear
b. Refer to figure 17-7 and disassemble the
housing opening, rotate wormshaft (21)
steering worm gear box as follows:
until sector gear passes through the
(1) Place the steering gear box in a vise,
opening in the housing.
clamping onto one of the mounting tabs. Keep the
(3) Remove and discard gasket (6).
steering gear shaft in a horizontal position and the side
(4) Remove seal (7) by prying out with a
(2) Loosen lock nut (9) and turn adjuster (12)
Care must be taken not to damage
three turns counterclockwise. Remove bolts (1) and
washer (2). Remove nut (3) and lock washer (4) Tap