1. Lower the boom to horizontal over the front or rear of the
Engage the boom hoist and raise the boom base section.
crawlers. Block the boom securely. Disconnect the hoist
Move the machine up to the tip section. Connect the top
line at the dead end and unreeve the hook block and boom
point. After the line has been unreeved from the boom
10. Engage the boom hoist and slowly raise the attachment
point, winch the line onto the respective drum.
until the boom connecting pins can be inserted.
11. Lower the attachment and provide blocking under the
2. Relax the boom hoist guy lines and pin the upper
end of the tip section. Install the guy lines from the boom
spreader to the boom base. Remove the guy lins connect-
ing the tip section to the upper spreader. Engage the boom
point to the spreader. Unpin the upper spreader from the
hoist and slowly raise the attachment until the bottom con-
necting pin can be removed.
12. Reeve the loadline. See Reeving, earlier in this section.
To remove the counterweight, proceed as follows (see Fig-
1. Equip the machine in one of the following ways:
Do not stand under the boom or inside the
A. Boom Base.
boom structure when removing pins. The
boom could fall if improperly supported and
B. Base Boom (tip and base).
could cause serious injury.
2. Attach the upper spreader to the spreader connector
lugs on the boom base section.
3. Raise the boom until the backstop pins can be installed
through the backstops to hold the boom in position. The pins
3. Allow the attachment to hinge about the top connecting
are stored at the base of the boom backstops.
pins and lower the base and tip until they rest on blocking.
Remove the top connecting pins.
4. Engage the boom hoist control to remove slack from the
boom hoist lines, and to remove weight from the gantry rear
4. Pull back on the boom hoist lever to remove all slack from
tension members. Remove the intermediate tension mem-
the boom hoist line.
ber lock pins from the intermediate tension members. This
will allow the upper and intermediate members to fold
5. Refer to Figure 4-7 and determine which pins must be
towards the machinery house. See the topic, Gantry, earlier
removed from the rear tension members to lower the gan-
in this section.
try. See the topic, Lowering the Gantry, earlier in this sec-
5. Pay out on the boom hoist line to lower the gantry. Set
the gantry in the "Lift off Position".
6. Operate the boom hoist lever as necessary to free the
6. Adjust the turnbuckles to give a dimension of 61-1 1/16
tension member pins for removal. Remove the pins.
7. Pay out on the boom hoist line and lower the gantry to
7. Pin the turnbuckles to Hole "B" in the gantry peak lug.
the travel position. Insert the compression member lock
pins as shown in Figure 4-7. Insert the clip pins into the
8. Pin the sling assemblies directly to the turnbuckles for
compression member lock pins.
the cast iron counterweight. Adjust the turnbuckles as
8. The machine is now ready for travel if, however, the
weight of the upper must be reduced to meet road weight
requirements, the boom hoist line and upper spreader
should be removed.
9. Attach the rope hooks to counterweight (01) and take up
A. Lower the boom base to a horizontal position and install
slack in the ropes by raising the gantry.
cribbing under the boom base. Relax the boom hoist line
and remove the dead end of the line. Engage the boom
10. Remove the attaching bolts from the counterweight.
hoist and wind the boom hoist line onto the drum.
Raise the counterweight slightly to swing it off of its shear
ledge, then lower it to the ground by paying out boom hoist
B. Unpin the backstops from the boom base and pull the
backstops apart. Unpin the other end of the backstops
from the revolving frame.
11. Raise the gantry and install intermediate tension
member lock pins in the locked position See the topic,
C. With the boom base cribbed in a horizontal position, re-
Gantry, earlier in this section.
move the boom base pins and washers from the lugs on
the revolving frame. Back the machine away from the
PREPARATION FOR TRAVEL
It is possible to travel the machine with the boom base
D. If necessary, the boom hoist line can be removed from
attached to the machine Prepare for such travel using the
the boom hoist drum.