Figure 4-5. Dipper teeth, removal and installation.
(2) Use drift punch or other suitable tool at
4-7. Dipper Teeth
small point (bottom of wedge), then drive upward until
wedge is free of tooth.
Caution: Never dig with shovel front end
(3) Loosen tooth in socket with side-to-side
attachment while a tooth is missing from dipper,
taps of hammer, then remove defective tooth.
even for a short time. The tooth socket will wear to
(4) Remove remaining teeth in a similar
such an extent that a replacement tooth will never fit
properly. Reinstall old worn tooth and use until
b. Tooth Installation.
new one is available, when continued operation is
(1) Clean tooth and wedge socket, insert
tooth in position, then drive tooth until it is seated in
(2) Position tooth locking wedge and drive it
(1) Lower dipper to rest on blocking or
into place until tooth is secure.
cribbing at door end, allowing crewman room to drive