Figure 145. Rear air shutoff valves and air manifold,
removal and installation.
241. Front Brakeshoes
a. Brakeshoe Removal.
(1) Remove the wheel and drum from brakeshoe
Figure 144. Wet and dry air tank, removal and
(2) Remove the front brakeshoes as instructed
240. Air Emergency and Service Shutoff Valves
b. Slack Adjuster Removal.
Remove the slack
a. Removal. Remove the air emergency and
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
(1) Clean all parts with an approved
solvent except the brake lining and dry
(2) Inspect the air emergency and service
(2) Inspect the brake lining for excessive wear
valves for proper operation. Replace
and glazing. Remove glazing by brushing
defective valves as necessary.
with a wire brush.
(3) Inspect all nipples and mounting hard-
(3) Inspect the brakeshoes for cracks, breaks,
ware for stripped or damaged threads.
and excessive pinhole wear.
Replace all defective parts as necessary.
damaged brakeshoes as necessary.
(4) Inspect the coupling for breaks and other
(4) Inspect the springs for broken or weak
damage. Replace coupling and defective
tension and inspect all pins for wear.
Replace all mounting hardware as necessary.
Install the air emergency and
(5) Inspect the slack adjuster for breaks,
excessive wear, and other damage. Replace
defective slack adjusters.