(c) Air shift cylinder body (14).
and bearing (42) will remain on
1. Remove cylinder cover screws (5).
(p) The high gear thrust washer (60),
2. Press on end of rod (21) with hand to
high gear (61), high gear bushing
(63), lockpin (62), high low
3. To remove piston (11) from rod (21),
synchronizer (64), hub (65) and
remove retaining ring (10).
low gear (66), may be removed
4. Quad seal (13) and 0-ring (17, 20, &
from the housing as a unit.
16) may now be removed.
Carrier Transmission Assembly Cleaning,
Use caution not to lose lockpin (62).
Inspection, and Repair
(q) To finish disassembling output
a. Cleaning. Clean all parts with an approved
shaft (71) use suitable puller to
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
remove bearing (42) or place in
b. Inspection and Repair. Inspect all parts for
arbor press with threaded end up
excessive wear and damage. Replace or repair all
and remove bearing.
damage or defective parts.
remove thrust washer (69),
473. Carrier Transmission Assembly Reassembly and
bushing (68), and lockpin (67).
To remove bushing, block under
thrust washer (69), and press off
the opposite end of bearing (42).
(1) Reassembly of various subassembles.
Use caution not to lose lockpin.
1. Clamp mainshaft (44) into vise
using copper or lead jaw shields,
(r) To remove output shaft-front
with pilot end up.
bearing (69) press out through
2. Using suitable driver, put 2d gear
bore of case.
bushing (45) on shaft.
(s) To remove intermediate shaft
(49) first remove rear bearing
Bushing should drive on with lockpin (46) toward top
retainer ring (40).
(t) Drive on front of intermediate
3. Place 2d gear (47) on shaft, with
shaft (49) with brass or bronze
toothed hub of gear up.
bar until back bearing comes
4. Place 2d gear retainer washer
completely out of bore in case.
(48) on shaft.
Using a suitable puller, remove
If gear has been replaced, select
(5) Disassembly of drop gear unit subassemblies (C,
proper retainer washer (one of three)
to get proper end play .008 .013
(a) Cover and bushing assembly (84).
1. Remove speedometer driven gear
5. Place new retainer ring (49) on
nut (86) from bearing cap.
2. Gear (35) may now be removed from
6. When placing 2d and 3d shift hub
(50) on shaft, note one side of
3. Press or drive out oil seal assembly
synchronizer hub is under cut for
(31). This should be done only if oil
2d gear retainer ring. Place this
seal is to be replaced.
(b) Intermediate shaft (49).
7. Place 3d gear thrust washer (51)
1. Remove front bearing locating ring
8. Put 8d gear (62) on shaft, with
toothed hub of gear down.
2. Place in arbor press or use suitable
puller and remove gear (51) spacer
9. Place 4th gear locating washer
(62) and bearing (58).
(53) on shaft.
3. Remove intermediate shaft gear
locating ring (50).