Attach steering clutch guard with five
The ring gear is an integral part of the truck frame and
can not be replaced. Inspect the ring gear for broken or
worn teeth and repair by welding or filing.
4-18. Center Gudgeon Bushing
4-22. Track Idlers and Brackets
Replacement and Repair
a. Takeup Idler.
vertical propel shaft.
(a) Part track, and fold back to expose idler.
(3) Lift bushing from center of revolving
(b) Remove takeup shaft bolts.
(c) Roll idler forward and pull off the two
b. Inspection and Cleaning.
dust shields, and shaft.
(1) Clean in an approved cleaning solvent
(2) Inspection and repair. See lower roller
and dry thoroughly.
(2) Inspect for wear or damage and replace
(a) Pack bearing with general purpose
c. Installation. Refer to figure 446 and install in
reverse order of removal.
(b) Install shaft and two dust shields.
4-19. Cone Roller
(c) Roll idler into place.
a. General. Cone rollers require repair if flat spots
(d) Install shaft bolts.
or dents are evident.
(e) Connect track.
(4) Track adjustment. Adjust track tension
of cone roller.
after idler assembly has been completed (TM 5-3810-
c. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Inspect cone rollers for dents or flat
b. Drive Tumbler.
(2) Repair defective rollers by welding, and
(a) Part track at drive tumbler end, and fold
machining until smooth.
back upper threads.
Refer to paragraph 44e for
(b) Remove four bolts in tumbler shaft
installation of cone roller.
(c) Part the drive chain at an link.
(d) Remove the two adjusting screw pins
a. Removal and Disassembly.
and roll tumbler out.
(1) Using a crane lift or jack lift method
(e) Remove chain sprocket by bending back
lock bar and removing capscrews.
crawler tracks, tumblers, and rollers can be removed
(f) Take outer and inner bearings off shaft.
from crawler frame.
(g) Press idler off shaft (30-50 ton press).
(2) Remove propelling chains and crawler
(2) Inspection and repair. Clean all parts
thoroughly and inspect for damage or excessive wear.
(3) Remove upper and lower rollers and
See paragraph 2-8 for bushing inspection and repair
take-up and drive tumblers.
procedures. Rebuild by welding any broken or worn
(4) Block under crawler frame and remove
sprocket teeth. Replace damaged or worn hardward.
bolts attaching truck frame. Remove blocks and lower
crawler frame to ground.
(a) Press tumbler on shaft (3050 ton press).
(5) Raise upper works with truck frame
attached until gear case clears truck frame and drag
frame out from under.
(c) Install inner and outer bearings.
b. Inspection and Repair
(d) Slide chain sprocket on splined shaft
(1) Clean all parts in an approved solvent.
and lock in place with two capscrews and lock bar.
(2) Lubricate in accordance with Lubrication
(e) Roll tumbler into position and insert two
adjusting screw pins.
(3) Repair cracks or opened welds in the
(f) Replace drive chain.
crawler frame by welding and grinding.
(g) Replace four tumbler shaft bolts.
c. Reassembly and Installation.
(h) Connect track belt.
(1) Drag crawler frame under truck frame,
Adjust track tension
block it up and bolt in position.
according to procedure in TM 5810-289-12.
(2) Reassemble in reverse order of removal.