A gradual reduction in the amount of free travel is a normal
2. Disconnect the shift rod on the left side of engine at the
condition caused by wearing of the clutch friction material.
If free travel is less than 3/4 inch (19.05 mm), adjust the
3. Disconnect the clutch linkage.
clutch as follows (see Figure B-B):
4. Disconnect the propeller shaft, at the rear of the trans-
1. Loosen the jam nut. Back the adjusting screw out until
the clearance between the release lever is approximately
1/16 inch (1.587 mm).
5. support the main transmission from the bottom. Re-
move the hanger bar bolt on the top rear of the trans-
2. Check clutch pedal free travel. If the free travel is within
3/4 to 1 inch (19.05-25.4 mm), hold the adjusting screw
and tighten the jam nut.
6. Remove the bolts that hold the transmission to the
3. If the free travel is not within 3/4 to 1 inch (19.05-25.4
mm), increase or decrease the clearance between the release
7. Slide the transmission away from the engine to disengage
levers until proper free travel is obtained. Then hold the
the transmission shaft from the engine flywheel.
adjusting screw and tighten the jam nut.
8. Lower the transmission from the carrier.
REPAIR. Repair instructions are provided in the transmis-
sion manufactureres service manual. Service manuals can be
obtained from the nearest dealer or directly from the manu-
REMOVAL. If the main transmission is to be removed at
facturer at the following address:
the time the engine is removed, refer to topic Carrier
Engine Removal. The main transmission can be removed
Eaton Yale and Towne, Inc.
from the carrier without removing the engine by following
Fuller Transmission Division
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001
INSTALLATION. To install the main transmission proceed
1. Remove the sheet metal over the main transmission, as
Figure 8-8. Clutch Adjustment