housing until after housing is mated to block.
(2) Position adapter to crankshaft. Align dowel
(2) Install dowels (15, 16 and 17) in engine
holes in crankshaft and adapter with aligning stem.
(3) Using three screws (6) equally spaced, pull
(3) Install plugs (12, 13 and 14) in gear
adapter onto crankshaft. Turn each screw approx-
imately one-half turn repeatedly until adapter is
(4) Position gasket (11) and plate (10) to rear
pulled into operating position. Recheck location of
of cylinder block and secure. Plate must be flush with
dowel holes with locating stem.
bottom of block within 0.000-0.008 inch.
(5) Trim spacer plate gasket (11) flush to 0.010
Care must be taken to pull adapter on
inch above pan rail. Hold knife blade flat to avoid cutting
gasket below surface.
(4) Drill and ream dowel holes, to smallest
(6) Clean housing and spacer plate mating
over- size, if either or both a new crankshaft or adapter is
surfaces of dirt, burrs, etc. Check alignment of index
used. Reamer must bottom in dowel holes.
marks on camshaft and crankshaft gears.
(5) Drive in dowels (8), standard or oversize
(7) Place gasket (9) and housing (8) on block
whichever is required, flush or below screws mounting
over dowels, secure snugly.
(8) Place dial indicator on end of crankshaft
(6) Install screws (6); torque in 75 ft-lb (101.7
N m) increments to 340-350 ft-lb (461-475 N m).
and check housing seal bore run-out. It must not exceed
0.008 inch. If run-out exceeds limit, remove housing and
Torque in sequence shown in figure 14-23.
dowels from block.
(9) Replace housing (8) and align housing
bore. Ream dowel holes for smallest oversize dowel;
install new pin dowels (use pin type dowels only for field
(10) Repeat paragraphs (7) and (8) above.
(11) Coat oil seal (18) with clean lubricating oil,
position seal with open end to inside of housing. Press
seal (18) into crankshaft bore from outside of housing
until seal is approximately 0.110 inch below outer edge
Failure to provide adequate support may
(12) Position gear housing over dowels in block.
Tighten screws to 332 ft-lb (41-44 N m) torque.
(13) Trim excess spacer plate to gear housing
gasket material flush to 0.010 inch above base of gear
b. Refer to figure 14-21. Assemble and install
flywheel housing as described in the following steps.
(1) Assemble new gasket (13), cover (12)
washer (11), and screws (10) to flywheel housing.
(2) Install plug (14), new packing (8 and 9) and
dowels (7) to flywheel housing.
(3) Clean all dirt and burrs from the mating
surfaces of cylinder block and flywheel housing (6).
(4) Position flywheel housing (6) to cylinder
block. Install washers (5) and screws (1, 2, 3 and 4).
Snug tighten screws.
Figure 14-23. Flywheel adapter torquing sequence.
c. Refer to figure 14-20. Assemble and install
flywheel adapter in the following method.
(7) Check flywheel adapter run-out. Mark
(1) Apply a light coat of heavy oil on inside bore
housing at A, A1, B and B1 as shown in figure 14-24.
of adapter (7). Lubricate rear oil seal lips with
clean engine oil.