5 Lock washer
6 Lock washer
Figure 14-30. Front cover exploded view.
(1) If gear (10) has been removed, cut a spacer
(3) Remove seal (10), sleeve (11), pointer (12),
from 0.003-inch shim stock using thrust plate (12) as a
dowel (13) and dowel (14).
template. Cut spacer in half.
14-26. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair
(2) Coat camshaft thrust plate with lubriplate
a. Clean all metal parts in cleaning solvent, Federal
type 130-AA or equivalent. Place thrust plate (12) on
Specification P-D-680, or equivalent, before inspection.
b. Replace seals and gaskets.
(3) Coat camshaft gear hub area with lubriplate
c Inspect cover for cracks or damage. Replace cover
Type 130-AA or equivalent. Place two-piece 0.003-inch
shim on top of thrust plate on gear side.
(4) Heat gear (10) to 4000F. Place gear in oven or
journals If journals diameter is less than 2.494 inches,
(5) Install key (11). Using a pair of tongs, place
e Inspect camshafts for scuffed, scored, or cracked
gear on camshaft hub and press until contact is made with
injector or valve lobes. Replace camshaft if lobes are
the 0.003 inch-shim. Remove shims and allow gear to cool.
(6) Coat camshaft lobes and journals with clean
f Remove camshaft gear if thrust plate is scored or
engine oil, Install camshaft (13)1: in block, rotate and lift
worn or if gear is chipped, cracked or worn.
slightly to assist in installation (Care must be taken not to
g Check thrust plate for flaking, burrs, distortion
distort cam lobes or journals.
and wear. Replace if damaged or worn smaller than
Timing must be checked when a new
14-27. Reassembly and Installation
camshaft or gear is installed in an (engine.
a. Refer to figure 14-29. Assemble and install
(7) Align "O" mark on camshaft gear with ")"
camshaft as follows:
Change 1 14-29