4 Connecting rod
5 Bering shell
6 Compression ring
7 Intermediate ring
8 Bottom ring
9 Snap ring
Figure 14-34. Connecting rod and piston--exploded view.
(2) Check alignment of index marks on damper
(8) If required, remove bushing (11) from connect-
hub and inertia member. If more than one-sixteenth of
ing rod (4).
an inch out of alignment, replace damper.
14-32. Cleaning and Inspection
d. Inspect connecting rods as follows:
a Clean all metal parts with cleaning solvent
(1) Check connecting rods, caps and bolts by
Federal Standard P-D-680 or equivalent before in-
magnetic inspection for cracks. Special attention must
specting. Dry with compressed air.
be shown to the shaded critical areas shown in figure
b. Rubber element damper should be cleaned in mild
14-35. If cracks are detected replace rod and cap as an
of piston pin bushing. If bore diameter exceeds 1.7525
Use of solvent or degreasing compounds will
inches, replace bushing (1, fig. 14-35).
(3) Check connecting rod alignment. Rod length
c. Inspect vibration damper as follows:
center to center shall be 8.1920-8.1940 inches (3, fig.
(1) Check rubber element for cracks and elastic