(6) Withdraw valves, valve springs and
3-28. Cylinder Head Replacement and
retainers (and valve spring guides.
(7) Remove ventilators.
c. Inspection and Cleaning.
(1) Water test cylinder head.
(a) Install injector Sleeve Holding Tool ST-
383 or ST-923, or a scrap injector and cup assembly in
each injector or sleeve.
(3) Remove thermostat and thermostat
(b) Tighten sleeve holding tool to 10/12 ft.-
housing (TM 5-3810-289-12).
lbs. to seal lower end of injector sleeve, or install
injectors and secure with capscrews torqued to same
(6) Remove cylinder head cover and rocker
(8) Remove valve crossheads and guides
(9) Attach ST-756 Lifting fixture to cylinder
head. Using a suitable hoist, lift head from block (fig. 3-
(10) Remove and discard head gasket,
grommets, and retainers.
Figure 3-119. Cylinder head in head holding fixture.
Figure 3-118. Cylinder head removal
(1) Steam clean complete head assembly.
(2) Place cylinder head in ST-583 Head
(3) Remove valves and springs. Use ST-
Figure 3-120. Compressing valve springs with ST-448.
(c) Test cylinder heads for leaks at 35/85
springs. ST-448 may be used at bench or on installed
psi and, if possible, at 1750/2000F. (790/930 C.) water
temperature. Check carefully around valve seats and
Caution: If removing valve springs on an
injector sleeve seats for any cracks, even though such
installed engine, be sure piston is up to support
cracks might not show water leakage. This type crack is
valves in cylinder. Replace springs before barring
caused when injector capscrews are tightened beyond
the engine or valve will drop into cylinder
factory tc.rque recommendation.
Discard head if
necessitating cylinder head removal to retrieve
(d) Open water outlet valve of test fixture;
(4) Screw stud from ST-448 in rocker lever
check for free water circulation through cylinder head. If
bearing capscrew hole.
restriction is evident, remove plugs and injector sleeves;
(5) Compress one valve spring at a time,
clean water jacket of salt, lime or sludge as follows:
remove half collets.