shaft toward front of block; remove bar and set gage at
oil pan. It houses the crankshaft, pistons, connecting
(3) Pry crankshaft toward rear of block (fig.
3-232); remove pry bar and read gage. Total gage
reading should be 0.004/0.015 in. with new (or rebuilt)
crankshaft and new thrust rings.
(4) If reading is less than 0.004 inch:
(a) Shift gage away from crankshaft.
(b) Loosen main bearing capscrews slightly.
(c) Shift crankshaft first toward front and
then toward rear of block in order to properly position
main bearing caps.
Tighten capscrews, using template
(e) Recheck end clearance (Steps 1, 2 and
(5) When end clearance exceeds 0.022
Figure 3-233. Installing crankshaft oil seal with ST-480.
inch, new thrust rings and/or crankshaft must be
rods, cylinder liners and camshaft. Drilled passages
carry pressurized oil to various moving parts.
Remove all internal and external
assemblies from the cylinder block.
Refer to the
applicable paragraphs for instructions.
(4) Remove all pipe plugs from oil and water
(1) Clean block in approved solvent and dry
(2) Clean all gasket residue from mating
Figure 3-232. Checking crankshaft end play.
(3) Clean all corrosion and scale from water
Lock main bearing capscrews by
jacket and ports.
bending lock plates against sides of capscrew heads.
(4) Run rods with brushes or swabs through
(7) Turn crankshaft to be sure it turns freely;
if it binds, remove crankshaft and recheck for dirt in
(5) Replace all pipe plugs. Use sealing tape
shells and bore.
or lead sealer, on plugs to prevent leakage. Tighten
Caution: Never ream or scrape main bearing
Note. If additional machining is to be performed,
p. Crankshaft Oil Sea.
oil gage cleaning and replacement of plugs should be
(1) Coat gear cover oil seal bore with clean
done after all machining is completed.
(6) Clean hole at front (No. 1 cylinder) that
(2) Coat sealing lips and outer diameter of
oil seal with clean lubricating oil.
(7) Blow all dirt or cleaning fluid from
(3) Install oil seal in bore with ST-480
Note. Cylinder head capscrew holes in block are
of seal must go into bore first. Drive seal into bore until
counterbored to prevent distorting and forcing liners out-
outer edge of seal is at least 0.030 inch inside of bore
of-round, when cylinder head capscrews are tightened.
All dirt and oil must be removed from holes to prevent
3-45. Cylinder Block
damaging block when capscrews are tightened.
a. General The cylinder block is a one piece
(8) Scrape counterbore lightly to remove
casting with mounting surface for cylinder head, lifter
guides, timing gear housing, oil filter base, oil cooler, and