(7) Secure the digging cable to the cable drum
(8) Raise the gantry mast to the working
position, using the boom hoist lever. Spool the slack
hoist cable on the boom hoist drum slowly, making
certain that the cable wraps evenly on the drum the first
(9) Unroll and stretch the hoist cable out on the
ground on the right side of the boom.
(10) Reeve the hoist cable as shown in figure
(11) Extend the dipper out as far as it will go,
with the dipper on the ground. Secure the hoist line to
wraps on the front cable drum. Secure the other end of
the cable to the boom.
d. Adjust the Backhoe Pitch Braces. The
back-hoe pitch braces (fig. 2-22) contain four holes in
each brace for adjustment. Position the backhoe boom
over the rear of the carrier and extend the dipper handle
until the dipper teeth are in the vertical position. Lower
the dipper to the ground and remove the nut and
threaded pin which se-cure the braces to the dipper
To shorten the braces, move the carrier
backward slowly until the holes in the braces are alined
with the holes in the dipper handle. To lengthen the
braces, move the carrier forward. After the holes have
been alined, install the threaded pin and nut.
Unreeving the Backhoe Digging Cable.
(1) Pull the dipper in under the boom and lower
to the ground.
Figure 2-21. Piledriver reeving diagram.
(2) Release the front cable drum brake, and
spool the cable off the drum. Remove the cable wedge
from the drum socket and pull the cable free of the drum
and the cable guide sheave on the boom.
(3) Remove the wedge from the dead-end
socket on the boom and pull the cable free of the
(3) Secure the gantry suspension line to the
padlock, guide sheave, and boom.
(4) Lay the cable out straight on the ground.
slack cable on the drum.
(5) Roll the cable into a coil and secure it with
(4) Install the gantry frame hold down cable
wire. Label the cable for future use.
(%4" dia. x 8'-6" long) between the revolving frame and
the upper end of the gantry frame.
Unreeving the Backhoe Hoist Cable.
(5) Unroll and stretch the digging cable out on
(1) Release the rear cable drum brake, and
the ground on the right side of the boom.
spool the cable from the rear cable drum. Remove the
cable wedge and pull the cable free of the drum.
(6) Reeve the digging cable as shown in
(2) Remove the cable wedge from the dea